I love how God works!  

Posted by Carolyn Joyce

Below is an article written by my friend and co-worker, Manny Sanchez, regarding what God is challenging him in. I completely relate and without a doubt feel God asking me to grow in this area too!!! I love how God works through people, His Word, and in our own hearts to teach us things and encourage us to become more like Himself. My hope in posting this is that you'll also be encouraged.

Much love, friends,
Carolyn

Prayer and Spiritual Leadership
By Emmanuel Sanchez (Original article posted here.)
Something God has been convicting me a lot about is prayer. He has shown me the deep inadequacy both in my personal life and especially in my leadership. I tried my petty excuses, but “oddly” enough He wouldn’t accept. He insists on confronting me time and time again in all sorts of creative ways. I have lost count now at how many articles, conversations, verses, sermons, lately, have in some way or another been gentle reminders of my need to pray. In fact, even my daughter last night, upon learning that I will be out of town for the next few days on a missions trip said to me, “Daddy, I will pray for you every day!” Talk about humbling! God has an amazing sense of humor! I think I got the message now though.

In short, God’s message to me is summed up in this quote by one of my favorite authors, Charles Spurgeon:

“Of course the leader is above all others distinguished as a man of prayer. He prays as an ordinary Christian, else he were a hypocrite. He prays more than ordinary Christians else he were disqualified for the office which he has undertaken.”

And listen to what this other preacher said:

“It would be wholly monstrous for a man to be highest in office and lowest in soul; first in station and last in life.”

Harsh? Now you understand how I felt..thanks for the empathy. : )

What a great challenge though!

What I realize now, (from what my daughter taught me) is that prayer is not optional for us spiritual leaders; it’s our job description. Why? Because we aren’t merely leading a man-made work. We are called to lead in God’s work and the nature of this work is supernatural. We can’t accomplish it on some Microsoft project-management software. It can only be done in our prayer closet, on our knees.

If we truly desire to be used as catalysts for life-change in the lives of people, we need to be first and foremost be men and women of prayer. How amazing would it be that those whom God has entrusted to us, have the advantage of our supplication!

Father, help us become men and women of prayer.

This entry was posted on June 7, 2010 at 6/07/2010 12:35:00 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment