As I read Matthew 23:23 today, I was spurred on to dive a bit deeper into the definitions of justice, mercy and faith. How am I to live out those things better if I don't understand them fully. So, here is what I found...
Matthew 23:23 says: "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."
JUSTICE
- Dictionary.com describes justice as the quality of being just (guided by truth, reason and fairness) and being righteous (being upright, moral, and virtuous)
- Blue Letter Bible defines this entry of justice as having an opinion or making a decision concerning right or wrong; sentence of condemnation and punishment
- There are 285 verses on justice! Woah! Here is one I recently read and love: Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. Isaiah 1:17
MERCY
- Dictionary.com defines mercy as compassion towards an offender or enemy; to pardon or mitigate (lessen) punishment; an act of kindness, compassion or favor
- Blue Letter Bible adds to the above definition to have compassion towards the afflicted or miserable joined with a desire to help (love it!!!)
- I also looked up compassion and here's what I found: feeling of deep sympathetic or sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering - WOW!
- Mercy is used 27 times in the NT; here is just one other one: But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It show favoritism and is always sincere. James 3:17
FAITH
- Blue Letter Bible defines faith as the conviction of the truth especially the relationship between God and man: relating to God the Creator, ruler of all things and bestower of salvation thru Jesus; relating to Christ, a strong conviction that Jesus is the Messiah through whom we obtain eternal salvation; the beliefs of Christians; and and finally, the ability to be relied on
- Faith is mentioned in the Bible 228 times in the NT. Here is just one other: The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Galatians 5:22
This entry was posted
on June 21, 2009
at 6/21/2009 10:20:00 AM
and is filed under
learning
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.



